Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Serius: Words of Wisdom

I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a person’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture and instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a person humanized or de-humanized. - Haim Ginott

This is very true espeacially for me. As I'm clueless about teaching, I just follow what I think is OK.

The problem is, I have tendency to be very strict when it come to some analytical judgement. At often, I seem to forget that I'm dealing with diploma students whom I treat as if they are PhD students. However, sometimes it works very well and it is very surprising to see how this young minds can be pushed out of their comfort zone.

Of course I can be tool of torture (which I often be associated with), but I never stop to be an instument of inspiration. It is amazing at the end to know that you've inspired someone. We'll never know what's the impact of our action towards someone -- I wish I'll constantly be able to inspire my students even though I'm at the lowest point of my life. Got to be strong all the time.

After all these years, all I can summed up:
Teaching is not a profession; it is a passion -- how true in my case ...

"One mark of great educator is the ability to lead students out to new places where even the educator has never been" -- Anonymous


No comments: