Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Reaksi: Reality bites ...!

University rankings: Think again on academic staff
By H.Z.A., Kuala Lumpur, 14 November, 2007 (NST)


.... This academic meritocracy system should be implemented here if the government is really serious about having world-class universities... Those professors who cannot prove that they are worthy of their prestigious posts should either be demoted to the rank of senior lecturers or make way for those more deserving. The unwritten promotion system of considering only the number of papers published should be replaced by the number of citations obtained. This is to ensure that the academics concerned realise that they have to publish quality papers to get their citations and subsequent promotion. Currently, some of the academics are known to publish mediocre papers in large numbers in order to get promoted quickly...


Reality bites?

Well, sometimes a slap across the face is needed in order to wake someone up. This article actually did that to me. Being part of those to be blamed for the lower ranking of our university, I admit the embarassment. But, we're Malaysian, we just do thing differently I must confessed :p

I couldn't agree more with the writer. But, being a so-called academician like me, it takes more than that. I become a so-called academician by accident, so I need to manouvre myself very 'hard' in realising what it takes to be a real good academician or at least feel deserve to engage to that title. Somehow, seeing so many examples around me, it somehow put me on a very comfort zone (yeah, blame on others!) and I'm so happy with that. Oftenly I say to myself - I'm not ambitious in this field - so, why I need all the pain to climb the ladder of success? I never portray myself bearing the title Professsor, never! So, why worry?

Anyhow, from now on, I need to 'restructure' my thought - even though I will never be tempted to be a professor, still I need to fulfill my pledge as an ordinary lecturer - to convey the knowledge and to contribute something to the body of knowledge. I don't do all this to up the ranking, but if it does, it will be the intangible reward I could enjoy.

Where do I begin?

No comments: