Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kenangan dan Pesanan

** Catatan 24 Januari 2008

What does it likes to be a political student one may ask.The answer can be varied -- from merely "I'm interested to it" or to something fancy like "I love to study politics because I'm preparing myself to be a politician!" --(well, the good political scientist never made a good politician, mind you!)For whatever reasons you give, studying politics actually has its ups and downs.

I can still vividly remember the day I decided that I want to sign up for political science minor, most of my friends oohhs and ahhs me. Why? This is simply because they think political science is such a big thing. You know, things like being analytical, ability to be cynical sometimes and bla bla bla...People actually look us high when we study politics (even though the degree is less than whom study medical, engineering or the like ... but, still ..).

As for me (at that time), political science is the only minor option left to me as I don't like to study why people depressed or become obsess with themselves as in psychology, or study why the particular civilization fall and try to pick here and there the lessons from them as in history or study why people do this and that as in sociology (they do have to offer us communication but some idiots had told the rumours that Revealed Knowledge major students cannot sign up this minor with no apparent reason -- and being an idiot myself, I never bother to ask the authority the authenticity of the rumours!).

Lesson #1:
Always referring to the higher authority if you have any doubts regarding your study so you don't end up believing something hypothetical your idiot friends just said or otherwise you'll miss great opportunity in your life like ME!

Lesson #2:
Once you sign up for this course, here some basic rules to follow:
**Always and constantly have passion to read
- a good political student must aware what ever happen around him and thus, sensitive to what people have to say. At any given phenomena, you must be able to show your analytical point of view. Your reading shouldn't be limited to some particular genre but if possible, all. It will makes you all-rounders. As for me, I could read any genre accept things that involving numerical and technical jargons. I'm dying of boredom if I were to read such thing.

**Make yourself fully understand all those terms and theories used in the first place. Studying politics means you will encountered series of theories ranging from the words of ancient scholars like Aristotle and Socrates with all 'heavy' philosophical views to the recent ideas about what happen around the world. In other word, to study politics is to give justification why the political actors did this and that e.g. Is Hitler was possessed when he started the WWII? or things like that.

Well, it doesn't much differ from all other social sciences like psychology or sociology or history then you may ask.. if that the case, my answer goes like this: As political science is also part of social sciences, then it is inter-related to others. So, you cannot avoid the resemblance between them ... :p

Well people, I think I'm too analytical now and I don't think you'll understand what I'm talking about. So, better quit before you get messy ... So long ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, i always remember vividly my time during DPA even though i did my law degree after that. Learn politics somehow give me some ideas on how human react to changes. Well, i always developed my passion in learning politics.It enthusiastic me and it still continue until now which I'm doing my master in international law. Keep up good writing!:)

Cik Peesha said...

Ikmal:

Thanks for stopping by.

Yes, couldn't agree more. Politic is great for those who can appreciate all the idiosyncracies that politics bring about.

So, you're doing your MA in international law? Lucky you. Such fantastic subject matter, I must say.

Good luck for everything and please stop by any other time.

Have a nice day.