Monday, June 02, 2008

Serius: Stand up for your Ideas

Today, as my eyes wander through the books on my shelf, I spotted one journal that I bought at KLIB 2 years ago. It was there as long as I can remember. I never read that journal. Still waiting for the right time, I guess.

I picked that journal and take a look at the index when I spotted one article about The Kurds, their history and struggle for political independence. Then I open the journal to read that article more. My eyes catch something at the foot note - as it stated
:” ... this paper is adopted from a chapter entitled “U.S Foreign Policy towards State X..." That paper actually part of the written master thesis. Suddenly, the paper reminds me of my MA Professor. Why?

Actually, it was the title of that thesis that makes me feel bad about my Professor. You see, I was doing my MA on 2001, when the biggest event of the world happened i.e. Spetember 11. Seeing there were so much to talk about in respond to the event, I'm planned to do my thesis on: The Saudi Arabia Foreign Policy towards USA: Pasca September 11, 2001.

It just something that came across my mind that instant because of that event. I then motioned the title to my Professor with hope that he could enlighten me with my topic. However, I was hampered when he suddenly questions me with annoying mimicking face:

"What the thing you want to study about that? What has become to Saudi Arabia foreign policy then?"

"Err, I think there are some changes that I could spot on that." I answered stammerly.

"Such as ...?"


What an arrogant b**** old man!

My head suddenly went blank. I must look so dorky at that time, and couldn't answer him.


"Look my dear, there is nothing Saudi could do to retaliate whatever accusation USA put over Muslims... Go and get another topic." He "wisely" advised me.

"Thank you, sir."

I left him then with the thought that he might be right about that.

What the thing that I really want to study?

Why should the Saudi's foreign policy changed?

What good doing that?

After all, he is a Professor for god sake! I'm merely a new kid on MA block, if I may say so.

I never re-think about what had happened between me and the Professor until I met a friend who’s now doing PhD after completing her MA with me last year. When I narrated back the story, she then looked at me disbelieved!


“You know Fisha, this is exactly the thesis X doing right now! (X is my other MA colleague). And, the Professor is his supervisor.”

It is like a bomb dropping all over me to hear such a story!

I couldn’t believe my ear that the topic which once to be told to me didn’t carry much impact but now is done by others! That Professor is really ….. really …. Oh, I don’t have any word to say to him anymore!


Some other times after that meeting, I have given a deep thought on what had happened.

Only if I went to him with enough preparation, the thesis would definitely mine!

Only if I stood up my ideas, this would never happen!

Only if …


Anyway, this among the hardest thing I could swallow into my life. After all, it is no use to cry over the spilled milk. Let bygone be bygone.

Lesson learnt:
  • Stand up for your ideas even others say it ridiculous. Don’t talk or tell anyone unless you really know the whole thing.
  • Always be prepared to face your enemy. You never know when the attack happens.

As I learnt it hard way, and I will never forget this.

To the Professor, thanks for the experience. I’ll never hate you, but I’ll never forget it either.

No comments: