Sunday, January 31, 2010

Reflection: What the Teachers Make?


The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.

He argued:
"What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests that it's true what they say about teachers:
"Those who can...do. Those who can't...teach.

To corroborate, he said to another guest: "You're a teacher, Susan," he said. "Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation of honesty and frankness, replied, "You want to know what I make?"

  • "I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could."

  • "I make kids believe in themselves when no one else will."

  • "I make a C+ feel like a Congressional Medal of Honor and an A- feel like a slap in the face if the student did not do his or her very best."

  • "I make parents tremble in fear when I call home"

"You want to know what I make?

  • "I make kids wonder."

  • "I make them question."

  • "I make them criticize."

  • "I make them apologize and mean it."

  • "I make them write."

  • "I make them read, read, read."

  • "I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, and definitely beautiful over and over and over again, until they will never misspell either one of those words again."

  • "I make them show all their work in math and hide it all on their final drafts in English."

  • "I make them understand that if you have a dream, then follow it...and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make or what you do, you pay them no attention."

"You want to know what I make?! "

"I make a difference."



What about you? -- How much difference did I make to you?

2 comments:

ajako said...

I make mistake, I regret and apologise...woah, now I know what my teacher made me...

Cik Peesha said...

Ajak:
hehehe ... dah buat mistake, regret and apologise ... now see what have u become? Your teacher must be proud of you! ADO sampai mati ... hehehe